18 and older
This hands-on workshop is an introduction to the artform and dynamic world of the VJ and live concert visuals. Perfect for music, theatre, and multimedia performers, visual effects artists and editors looking for alternative ways to create visual content, and others looking to expand their visual music palette.
Students will have the opportunity to create and design a live VJ performance using VJ software, learn the practicalities behind working on a gig as a VJ, collaborate with others on a live mix, and gain a solid understanding of the current artistic, musical, and commercial applications of this ever-changing artform.Course OutlineThe Landscape of Live Visuals
Listening and Visualization Exercises
- Discussion: The VJ Artform in live concert visuals and beyond
- Respect Your VJ: The VJ on a gig
VJ Theory and Introduction to Modul 8 and the Video Mixer
- Learning how to see and listen with your own artistic voice
- Developing the inner visual musician
Planning for the Gig
- Introduction to Live Visuals Workflow
- Introduction to the vj loop
- Working with Modul 8
- Working with Video Mixers
- Integrating other software for the creation of loops, and to work with modul8
Collaborating with other VJs
- Everything you need to know before, during, and after a live visual performance
- Technical specs, gear, packing, getting paid etc.
- Cheat sheet for gigging
VJ Work in Other Environments
- Students have an opportunity to collaborate on a live vj performance by plugging into a mixer and performing together to music
- A discussion on how to apply the lessons learned during workshop into other formats such as multimedia presentations, traditional production and post-production workflows
Please bring a picture ID to enter the building, and anything that you will use for notes such as pen/paper or tablet.