Discover the Best Data Analytics Classes in NYC
Data analytics is a field that includes data collection, analysis, and prediction on a broad scale. There are four types of data analytics:
While the first two deal with causes and conditions, the latter two involve recommendations based on predictions.
Data analytics careers range from business intelligence (BI) analysis to marketing to data science. Determining what type of data analytics job to get depends on factors like your current knowledge and skill set, the industry you work in, and future goals and desires.
If you want to live and work in or near New York City, consider an in-person or live online bootcamp or certificate program for your data analytics training. These immersive courses offer a high level of engagement, and many attendees go on to entry-level roles after graduation.
Best Data Analytics Classes & Schools in NYC
New York residents have a wealth of alternatives at their fingertips, especially in high-tech training. Check out the following options for data analytics education:
- The Data Analytics Certificate program from Noble Desktop is available live online or at their state-of-the-art Manhattan headquarters. Topics include Tableau, SQL, and Python for automation, interactive dashboards, and machine learning (ML).
- Learning Tree International offers training in data visualization tools for analytics, including Power BI. Their Power BI Data Analyst Training Course prepares students to sit for the Microsoft PL-300 exam. Attendees should have a working knowledge of relational and non-relational data in the cloud before applying.
- Sprintzeal is another e-learning platform that offers certification training programs, including training for the Big Data Hadoop Analyst certification. This course covers security, data visualization, regression analysis, and other core concepts. Participants can train live online or in person at Sprintzeal's Manhattan location.
- NYC Career Centers offers a range of software training programs in New York City and live online from anywhere. Their Tableau Bootcamp covers data visualization in this immersive, hands-on bootcamp. Beginners learn fundamentals, then progress to advanced techniques in an interactive environment.
Many bootcamps and certificate programs that cover data analytics also include a variety of relevant skills. For example, data analytics programs from providers like NYC Career Centers and Noble Desktop include Python, SQL, and Excel, among other topics. Check course listings for more details, including any prerequisite information.
NYC Industries That Use Data Analytics
NYC is the largest city in the United States, and the New York-Newark-Jersey City metro area GDP comprises nearly 10% of GDP, around $2 trillion. Top sectors in New York City include consulting services like Deloitte, high-end retail giants like Macy's and Calvin Klein, and a massive construction industry. Of these top three, retail and consulting have the greatest need for data analytics. Other candidates include real estate, transportation, entertainment, and healthcare.
Data Analysts collect, organize, and evaluate data. Large retail companies need them for several reasons. Retail Data Analysts, Retail Analysts, or Merchandising Analysts examine qualitative and quantitative data. They gain insights from ongoing customer behaviors and trends. And they make recommendations to key stakeholders based on their analyses.
Consulting services are an altogether different animal. These can include everything from IT consulting to financial advisory services. The top types of consulting service providers include:
- Management Consulting
- Marketing Consulting
- Operations Consulting
- Human Resources Consulting
- Legal Consulting
Consulting services tend toward finance, management, and information or digital technology in major metropolitan areas like New York. Data analytics is essential to these industries, and the need promises to grow exponentially over the next decade.
Data Analytics Jobs & Salaries in NYC
While consulting services, retail, and construction are the top three industries in New York City, you can find data analytics roles in virtually every industry and sector. If you specialize in IT, entertainment, or finance, you should look for data analytics roles in your field for the best opportunities.
Here are some of the most common data analytics roles and average salary figures for New York:
- Financial Analyst - Finance roles can pay well, and data analytics plays an essential role here. In New York City, a Financial Analyst typically earns an average annual salary of around $81,000, possibly more for those working at large multinational firms.
- Data Analyst - The Data Analyst title yields different results in New York. Data Analysts with one to three years of experience earn an average salary of around $84,000 annually; however, experienced analytics pros in large companies may earn nearly twice as much.
- Business Analyst - A Business Analyst in NYC does even better, earning an average annual salary as high as $96,000—a stunning 14% above the national average for comparable positions.
- Analytics Manager - An Analytics Manager in New York City can expect to make more than his direct reports, and the average salary for these experienced professionals is around $119K annually.
- Data Scientist - In New York City, as in other metro areas, Data Scientists are among the highest-paid data analytics professionals. They average around $129,000 in annual compensation, comparable to the national average.
Consider a bootcamp or certificate program to learn data analytics, especially if you need to train for a broader computer science role. In the case of a Data Analyst or Business Analyst position, you might need intermediate or advanced data visualization skills like Tableau or Power BI and computer programming languages like Python or R.
Also, remember that many bootcamps and certificate programs combine these skills with tools like Excel, SQL, and basic machine learning algorithms. If you research the requirements for starting roles in your industry or the position you want, you may be able to figure out the exact type of training program that will offer the most value.