18 and older
The 4 hour Scaffold User & Refresher course is required for all workers using supported scaffolds on construction sites in New York City, as per Local Law 52. This course explains the basic elements of supported scaffold safety and introduces students to the nature of supported scaffold hazards. Topics include scaffold inspections, recognizing different hazards (e.g. falling, electrical, etc.), and protective equipment. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a picture ID card, valid for 4 years.Audience
: This course is required for all workers using supported scaffolding on construction sites in the confines of New York City.Prerequisites
: Student must be able to communicate with the instructor in the language the course is held in.Learning Outcomes
At the end of this course, the students shall be able to:
- Compare and contrast unsafe act and an unsafe condition in supported scaffold with those of a suspended Scaffold.
- Identify if in NYC there is a need for additional regulation, in addition to the OSHA construction Standards.
- List the three basic types of scaffold (supported, suspended, and Aerial Lifts).
- Demonstrate knowledge on the different criteria for supported scaffold to suspended scaffold.
- Identify the hazards associated with electricity, falling objects and how to use PPE and other equipment to avoid falls in general.
- Identify why scaffold accidents lead to new rules for users in scaffolds in NYC and list the new rules or procedures that were put in place as a result of fatal accidents.
- Understand the importance of notification of scaffold accidents and follow the procedure in case of a scaffold accident in the City of New York.
: Pens, instruction handouts, test, videos, PowerPoint presentations, instructor evaluation sheet, attendance sign-in sheets.Course fee includes
: administrative fees, course materials, and certificates. Available for purchase: extra booklets, certificate replacements, and mailing out certificates.Methods of Instruction
: A combination of lectures, PowerPoint presentations, open discussions, hands-on activities, and testing will be used throughout this course.
In order to successfully fulfill the requirements for completion of the 4 Hour Scaffold User course and to receive a certificate/card for the course, students must:
No exceptions will be made. No partial credit awarded for any course.Customer can bring lunch, we provide coffee and tea in the classrooms.Valid photo ID required.
- Be able to clearly communicate with the instructor and complete all paperwork in the language the course is delivered in. No personal interpreters permitted.
- Complete all required paperwork: registration, evaluation, attendance, etc.
- Attend all required hours of the course. Any make up sessions must be completed within six months from the start date.
- Participate during class activities and reviews.
- Complete tests with a passing grade of 70%.