18 and older
This bootcamp intends to bridge effective data visualization with engaging storytelling. It is composed of two core parts focused on foundational concepts and technical skills, bookended with spaces for introductions and debriefing.
During the first module of the class, we will build up a knowledge base of core concepts that help create effective, engaging, replicable, and sustainable visual communication.
In the second module, we will focus on the technical aspect of the work through hands-on activities and technical demos. We will cover a technical spectrum, dabbling across tools and messing with code whenever possible.
This bootcamp is ideal for entry to mid-level professionals who want or currently have job titles with words like Analyst, Digital, Communications, Fundraising, Insights, Data. The ideal class attendee has at least a few months of hands-on data work. For people who are highly technical (proficient and active in Python, R, GIS, BI tools), the storytelling and effective communication part will provide the most value, while those on business and operations sides will see a lot of value in the extensive technical toolkit and ecosystem of free resources.
College students, small business owners, entrepreneurs, and executive level decision makers would also benefit from participating.Takeaways:
Prereqs & Preparation:
- Understanding of how to effectively blend data and storytelling
- Tactics for effective narratives
- Adaptable frameworks for building digital experiences
- Best practices and pro tips in data strategy and visualization
- Sampling of design, advertising, data collections protips
- Hands-on experience with and exposure to wide array of online tools, like Tableau, Esri ArcGIS Online, and Jupyter Notebooks
- Library of resources and suggested next steps to continue data journey
Before class, make sure you have downloaded Tableau desktop (free limited time trial), and created a free public account at ArcGIS Online. Please bring your laptop, and pen and paper with which to take notes and draw.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.