18 and older
This course is designed for those with a desire to enhance their writing skills.
Who Should Attend?
This is an ideal course for those who might want to sharpen their communication skills to increase effectiveness in the workplace.
Participants will learn and discover the secret to effective business writing and crafting messages that others want to read and act on. Participants will learn how to:
- Make their writing clear, complete, concise and correct.
- Improve sentence construction and paragraph development.
- Deal with specific business requests.
- Create effective business cases, proposals, and reports.
- Thoroughly document sources that they use in their writing.
- The C’s of Writing
- Clear: Analyze your writing by looking at what you wrote, language used and its clarity. Clear message will convey clear meaning and doesn’t need to be interpreted.
- Concise: Business writing should brief information straight to the point.
- Complete: Why incomplete information? We have to understand that readers may not know all the information. Information needs to be delivered with more emphasis on all important questions required to make the information complete.
- Correct: Incorrect words are easily noticed in a sentence. Often, we communicate by with colleagues millions of miles away, using incorrect words can mislead the reader. Correct those areas of information which can create an impressive piece of writing.
- Dealing with specific requests:Often people are asked to respond to a request for information or to write a particular letter (of recommendation, for example). We will discuss some tips to keep in mind when writing one of these particular documents. Participants will also get some hands-on practice with writing letters of request.
- Writing Mechanics: Participants will take a close look at the proper length of paragraphs, what a paragraph should contain, and how to order paragraphs.
- Preparing Business documents:Another common task is to write a business case, request for proposal, or a formal report. Where would you start? We will provide some guidelines that will help with these tasks.
- Editing Techniques:To conclude the course, participants will apply what they have learned to their own writing.
- Workshop Wrap-Up:Students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
Please note: Price includes the materials.