21 and older
To fully participate in this electronic, interactive and live session, please check your system (or ask your IT department) to ensure it meets the following requirements:
Supported OS, Browser and Additional Requirements
* Official support for the "latest" version of a newly released browser, among those noted above, will be added within 8 weeks of public release. Until then, the previous version will continue to be supported instead.
- Windows 7+ (Microsoft Edge, Latest Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.9+ (*Latest Firefox, Safari, or Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
- Android 4.x (Chrome Browser Only)
- Apple iOs (*Latest version, Safari Browser Only)
If you are using an unsupported version of a Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system, you may experience difficulty in viewing and/or listening to the event.
Test Your Computer
The audio portion of this AMA web event will be delivered directly through your computer’s speakers or attached headphones. To fully participate in this electronic, interactive, live session, please test your system and review the requirements (or ask your IT department) before the program begins.
Important tip - Please allow 15 minutes prior to joining a session to conduct your set-up and testing!
- Minimum bandwidth requirement is 512 kbps for meeting attendees
- POP-UP Blockers must be turned off to access the program.
AMA's Live Online Seminars are live, interactive, instructor-led courses that are completely user-friendly and accessible from your office or home PC. They’re the perfect time-saving alternative when you want training but can’t get away from the office.
You'll be able to speak to and/or electronically communicate with the instructor's and other attendees. You can also share files, view the instructors desktop, ask questions, tell the instructor to speak louder, softer, slow down, etc. (through simple icons). You'll see what your instructor is writing, view and hear questions and comments from other attendees, and be able to work in subgroups. A headset is required for optimal communication throughout the Live Online Seminar.
A member of AMA's expert faculty of business professionals will lead your seminar. Beyond our course leaders’ experience in business training, they are specially trained to present AMA's high-quality content in an engaging, live online format.
We want you to feel completely comfortable and ready to go, so we’ll email you before your scheduled seminar and give you all the information you need about the simple set-up process.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills for Technical Professionals
Whether you’re an IT professional, engineer, scientist, or researcher, communicating with others—both technical and nontechnical professionals—is an essential part of the job. This seminar will give you the interpersonal and communication tools you need to ensure mutual clarity and understanding when dealing with others, so you can maximize all your business interactions and achieve your critical goals.
Who Should Attend
All technical and IT professionals who need to develop the interpersonal and communication skills necessary to effectively convey their knowledge to those around them.
How You Will Benefit
- Recognize and manage differences between you and nontechnical professionals
- Deliver clear messages to non-technical professionals
- Apply verbal and nonverbal techniques to build shared understanding
- Strategically apply a communication system to enhance relationships and achieve performance goals
- Develop active listening skills that promote better work relationships
- Get your points across in diverse communication contexts
- Use influencing skills to complete projects faster and grow your reputation
- Be able to productively manage conflict
What You Will Cover
Identifying Differences Between Technical and Nontechnical Professionals
- Recognizing the differences in communication needs/expectations of technical vs. non-technical professionals
- Understanding the impact of generational characteristics on communication within and outside of technical areas
- Analyzing your own work situation based on communication needs and expectations
Interpersonal Strategies to Help You Get Your Points Across in Diverse Circumstances
- Distinguishing communication style preferences to better understand and influence others
- Determining your personal communication styles with the DiSC® profile
- Identifying the strengths and limitations of your DiSC® profile
- Using behavioral clues to determine others’ personal styles
- Describing how to more effectively work with other styles
Strategically Applying a Communication System to Enhance Relationships
- Differentiating between verbal and nonverbal communications
- Assessing your own nonverbal traits and developing an improvement plan
- Identifying criteria for establishing trust and building credibility
- Using a communication model to conduct more effective conversations
Developing Active Listening Skills to Promote Better Work Relationships
- Recognizing the role of listening in effective communications
- Knowing when and how to acknowledge emotions and ideas
- Applying effective listening techniques to own work situations
Communication Strategies to Help You Achieve Your Goals
- Determining when to use open and closed-ended questions
- Demonstrating and applying the effective use of informing, directing, and criticizing
Productively Managing Conflict
- Using and applying the AEIOU model to assertively build shared expectations
- Determining your own conflict style using the Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
- Developing an action plan to apply these techniques to your own work situations
This course is available for "remote" learning and will be available to anyone with access to an internet device with a microphone (this includes most models of computers, tablets). Classes will take place with a "Live" instructor at the date/times listed below.
Upon registration, the instructor will send along additional information about how to log-on and participate in the class.