21 and older
To fully participate in this electronic, interactive and live session, please check your system (or ask your IT department) to ensure it meets the following requirements:
Supported OS, Browser and Additional Requirements
* Official support for the "latest" version of a newly released browser, among those noted above, will be added within 8 weeks of public release. Until then, the previous version will continue to be supported instead.
- Windows 7+ (Microsoft Edge, Latest Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.9+ (*Latest Firefox, Safari, or Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
- Android 4.x (Chrome Browser Only)
- Apple iOs (*Latest version, Safari Browser Only)
If you are using an unsupported version of a Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system, you may experience difficulty in viewing and/or listening to the event.
Test Your Computer
The audio portion of this AMA web event will be delivered directly through your computer’s speakers or attached headphones. To fully participate in this electronic, interactive, live session, please test your system and review the requirements (or ask your IT department) before the program begins.
Important tip - Please allow 15 minutes prior to joining a session to conduct your set-up and testing!
- Minimum bandwidth requirement is 512 kbps for meeting attendees
- POP-UP Blockers must be turned off to access the program.
AMA's Live Online Seminars are live, interactive, instructor-led courses that are completely user-friendly and accessible from your office or home PC. They’re the perfect time-saving alternative when you want training but can’t get away from the office.
You'll be able to speak to and/or electronically communicate with the instructor's and other attendees. You can also share files, view the instructors desktop, ask questions, tell the instructor to speak louder, softer, slow down, etc. (through simple icons). You'll see what your instructor is writing, view and hear questions and comments from other attendees, and be able to work in subgroups. A headset is required for optimal communication throughout the Live Online Seminar.
A member of AMA's expert faculty of business professionals will lead your seminar. Beyond our course leaders’ experience in business training, they are specially trained to present AMA's high-quality content in an engaging, live online format.
We want you to feel completely comfortable and ready to go, so we’ll email you before your scheduled seminar and give you all the information you need about the simple set-up process.
Let’s face it: There’s no substitute for in-person, one-on-one communication, and having the skills to master such interactions is crucial for both business and personal success. This unique 2-day course is designed to give you a strong foundation in essential communication skills and competencies.
Through practice sessions and role-plays, you’ll be on your way to developing the confidence and communication know-how you need to establish yourself in the business world—and keep moving ahead throughout your career.
Who Should Attend
Early career professionals or anyone interested in enhancing their fundamental verbal communication skills, including coordinators, specialists, analysts, consultants, associate managers, project managers, and leadership-track administrative professionals.
How You Will Benefit
- Optimize communication skills you already have
- Get strategies to better assimilate verbal information
- Effectively interpret shared knowledge
- Improve work relationships and reduce misunderstandings
- Communicate clearly and appropriately—and with greater confidence
- Choose the right words even in difficult circumstances
- Expand your influence and be recognized for your skills
What You Will Cover
Assessing Your Communication Skills
- Understanding the skills you already possess
- Assessing your effectiveness and identifying improvement areas
Developing Your Listening Competencies
- Defining the competencies of effective listening
- Identifying the different components of the information you’re hearing
- How to take a more active role when listening
- Increasing comprehension through mental openness and feedback
Increasing Cognitive Skills to Promote Comprehension
- Discerning, analyzing and evaluating
- Visual aspects of verbal communication
- Relating information productively to your own experiences
- Creating mental cross-references between old and new information
- Framing statements and discussions
Roadmap for Clearer Communication
- Understanding effective body language and appropriate word choice
- Finding mutual connections or similarities to enhance communication
- Controlling emotions and establishing the right tone of voice
- Storytelling with imagery, passion and evocative language
- Creating a personal action plan
"learned a whole lot"
Great presenter and speaker learned a whole lot about the class and was very great at connecting with us as a whole and as an individual.
This course is available for "remote" learning and will be available to anyone with access to an internet device with a microphone (this includes most models of computers, tablets). Classes will take place with a "Live" instructor at the date/times listed below.
Upon registration, the instructor will send along additional information about how to log-on and participate in the class.