Discover the Best Web Design Classes in San Francisco
Web design focuses on everything from visual elements like layout and colors but ease of navigation, functionality, and contemporary appearance. Design professionals may work as User Interface (UI) Designers, User Experience (UX) Designers, or some combination of the two.
UI Designers may hold titles like Digital Designer, Graphic Designer, or the straightforward Web Designer designation. UX Designers typically have positions like UX Researcher, UX/UI Designer, or the common UX Designer designation.
Today the demand for experienced web design professionals outpaces the supply. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a 23% growth rate in web development and digital design between 2021 and 2031. Read on for more about the best web design training in the San Francisco Bay area.
Best Web Design Classes & Schools in San Francisco
- Sonic Training - Sonic Training offers in-person web design classes at the Montgomery BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) training facility in San Francisco. Their coursework includes multiple Adobe design programs like Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator, and essential web design tools like HTML. Check course listings for more details, including locations and any prerequisite information.
- Plexus Creative - Looking for beginner-friendly HTML and CSS design training? Plexus Creative has your back with HTML/CSS Web Design—Private Training & Consulting. This intensive 1-hour workshop is available live online for individuals and groups. Plexus can customize the format for attendees with specialized training requirements or specific goals outside the scope of the group workshop setting. Topics include HTML and CSS syntax, inline tags, graphics, and layouts, to name a few.
- NYC Career Centers - A Noble Desktop partner, NYC Career Centers also offers tech training live online via teleconferencing. San Francisco Bay area residents can benefit from their Web Design Certificate program that covers the popular WordPress content management system (CMS), HTML and CSS, and other subjects.
- General Assembly - General Assembly provides numerous design and development courses, whether live online or at one of their many locations. Their User Experience (UX) Design Immersive is a holistic program that teaches beginners and others professional-level design research, ideation, prototyping, and testing. New designers can take the Pre-Work UX Fundamentals sessions to prepare for this immersive bootcamp.
- Certstaffix Training - Certstaffix offers instructor-led training live online or in-person at your company location. Many Adobe Creative Cloud tools are essential for web design and development, and Certstaffix provides classes in the most important. Their Adobe InDesign CC course gives students a strong foundation in everything from layout to typography in a three-day seminar. Check listings for more details on design programs, including any prerequisite information.
San Francisco Industries That Use Web Design
Web design is essential in nearly every industry and sector, whether in San Francisco or elsewhere. Tech and tech-adjacent companies always require websites, as do governmental agencies, media conglomerates, and scientific organizations.
Top sectors in San Francisco include:
- Environmental & Cleantech
- International Business
- IT & Software
- Life Sciences & Biotech
- Social & Digital Media
While not every industry or sector advertises for design roles, tech positions in digital and social media, information technology, and software dominate San Francisco. Consider major players like Electronic Arts, Twitter, and Salesforce, which all have a presence in the Bay area.
Biotech also features prominently here, including AbbVie, Amgen, and Tempus. And in surrounding towns like Redwood City, Santa Clara, and San Rafael, you'll find notable firms like Guardant, Agilent, and BioMarin.
Other industries that may require web design in San Francisco include aerospace/defense, apparel, automotive, consumer products, education, energy, and BFSI (banking, financial services, and insurance).
Web Design Jobs & Salaries in San Francisco
Although San Francisco Bay Area housing and cost-of-living expenses may be higher than national averages, local wages and salaries often more than make up the difference. Many web design and development positions pay well in the Bay Area, particularly in industries like biotech and life sciences, social and digital media, and IT/software services.
Web Designers in San Francisco can expect to earn an annual salary of around $54,000, eight percent above the national average. Digital Designers make around $109,000 annually, or 19% above the national average.
Web Developers do even better, earning an average of $124,000 annually, 49% above the national figure. And an experienced Design Director managing a group of Designers commands as much as $200,000 per year—a stunning 66% higher than the national average for comparable positions.
Positions at these elevated levels require proficiency in multiple tools and disciplines, and web design pros may need specialized training to qualify for the highest-paying roles. Whether you choose to freelance or seek a full-time position working for a company, consider a bootcamp or certificate program to get the web design training you need for a successful career in this exciting field.