12 and older
Artists will be working at their own pace on individual projects in Oil, Acrylic, Pastel, Charcoal, Pencil, Pen & Ink or Colored Pencil. You may bring your own reference material or use studio reference books or still life arrangements set up in class.
Students are encouraged to keep a notebook of photos and images they come across in order to always have material ready to begin with. We will organize workshops & open studio sessions occasionally with a model or set up to work from, as we encourage students to work from life as much as possible.
Individual instruction will be given at each easel, rotating around the classroom. I will include various demonstrations, lessons & video segments in class and will notify you of special workshops and other related art events. Primary attention to drawing will be given as the foundation of your painting, using negative space, proportions of length and plumb lines.
Beow is a proposed calendar and subjects may change. Instruction for weekly classes to include PowerPoint lessons, demos, & hands on lessons. Will be the first 30-45 minutes
of class unless noted. Weekly Classes:
- January - Quick draw & the importance of warm up exercises.
- February - Lunch & Video Helen Van Wyk, Misc. Topics (*Noon & 5:30)
- March - Landscape Composition, Tips & Tricks
- April - Flowers & Fruit, Includes Learning to use a Palette Knife
- May - Drawing & Painting TREES – including an outside session
- June - Painting WATER & the Beach
- July - Creating like a kid. Art Camp Setting & Camp Lessons
- August - Drawing the HEAD (Portrait & getting a likeness) & Beyond the Photo Lesson
- September - Narrowing down the million BACKGROUND OPTIONS
- October - Pastel Demos in class, Materials and Procedures covered
- November - Taking Charcoal & Graphite to a new level. How far can you go?
- December - Taking your sketchbook to the next level. Adding watercolor & more. Developing a plan for the year ahead. Take charge of your art!
Artists are encouraged to bring to each class the following:
- sketch pad (for pastel, charcoal & pencil),
- vine charcoal or charcoal pencil and a kneaded eraser.
- Some painting materials will be available for purchase in the studio, (canvas and pastel paper).
Students work on drawings or paintings in class and take them home every week. No artwork to be left in the studio.
- You may also use studio paints, brushes, sprays, fixatives, pastels, for an additional $10 per month.
- I ask those who do not regularly bring their own, to bring a roll of paper towels each month as we go through hundreds.
- Most bring their own with their supplies.
- Personal materials are not to be left at the studio, due to limited space and possible damage.
- A supply list is available if you wish to purchase your own supplies.
Bring whatever supplies you have for the medium you wish to work in. For special workshops I will send a supply list. I also have some studio supplies for a monthly fee if you would like to try a new medium. Sketchbook and pencil or charcoal and kneaded eraser are always good to have on hand.