21 and older
To fully participate in this electronic, interactive and live session, please check your system (or ask your IT department) to ensure it meets the following requirements:
Supported OS, Browser and Additional Requirements
* Official support for the "latest" version of a newly released browser, among those noted above, will be added within 8 weeks of public release. Until then, the previous version will continue to be supported instead.
- Windows 7+ (Microsoft Edge, Latest Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.9+ (*Latest Firefox, Safari, or Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
- Android 4.x (Chrome Browser Only)
- Apple iOs (*Latest version, Safari Browser Only)
If you are using an unsupported version of a Windows, Mac, or Linux operating system, you may experience difficulty in viewing and/or listening to the event.
Test Your Computer
The audio portion of this AMA web event will be delivered directly through your computer’s speakers or attached headphones. To fully participate in this electronic, interactive, live session, please test your system and review the requirements (or ask your IT department) before the program begins.
Important tip - Please allow 15 minutes prior to joining a session to conduct your set-up and testing!
- Minimum bandwidth requirement is 512 kbps for meeting attendees
- POP-UP Blockers must be turned off to access the program.
AMA's Live Online Seminars are live, interactive, instructor-led courses that are completely user-friendly and accessible from your office or home PC. They’re the perfect time-saving alternative when you want training but can’t get away from the office.
You'll be able to speak to and/or electronically communicate with the instructor's and other attendees. You can also share files, view the instructors desktop, ask questions, tell the instructor to speak louder, softer, slow down, etc. (through simple icons). You'll see what your instructor is writing, view and hear questions and comments from other attendees, and be able to work in subgroups. A headset is required for optimal communication throughout the Live Online Seminar.
A member of AMA's expert faculty of business professionals will lead your seminar. Beyond our course leaders’ experience in business training, they are specially trained to present AMA's high-quality content in an engaging, live online format.
We want you to feel completely comfortable and ready to go, so we’ll email you before your scheduled seminar and give you all the information you need about the simple set-up process.
Apply well-honed communication techniques to navigate common work challenges. This distinctive certificate program incorporates skill practice, role-play activities and real-time feedback to help you take your communication skills to the next level. Using real-life workplace scenarios in a supportive environment, you’ll practice communicating with authenticity and clarity as you choose the best way to communicate the message you want to convey. You’ll be challenged to step up and be seen—and analyze how you view and respond to people.
To fully utilize and feel comfortable with the new voice you’ve discovered, you’ll finish the program by engaging in a capstone activity where you’ll apply the concepts and skills you’ve learned to a real-life scenario.
Added bonus: You’ll also receive an exclusive AMA certificate in recognition of your completion of this program.
Certificate Programs include additional post-course resources:
- On demand lessons to reinforce key skills
- Best practice skill refreshers
- Articles offering practical tips and tactics
What You Will Cover
The Power of Self-Awareness and the Importance of Perception
- Understanding yourself, your audiences and the power of perception
- Identifying your communication style and its impact
- Identify others’ types and how style differences impact communication
- Using style knowledge to identify flexing strategies
The 3 Vs of Communication – Vocal, Verbal, Visual
- Understanding how each of the 3 Vs affects perception
- Demonstrating how non-verbal behavior affects perception
- Applying communication planning to each of the 3 Vs
Effective Listening and Building Rapport
Authentic Communication and Influence
- Linking authentic communication with style awareness and effective influencing skills
- Flexing your style to influence others
- Demonstrating authentic communication to influence another by incorporating style flexing and the 3Vs
Creating Impactful Messages for All Communication Methods
- Practicing a conversation using the 5 Key Skills worksheet
- Customizing messages to your audiences and communication modality
Storytelling: A Powerful Influencing Tool
- Using storytelling to improve rapport and influence
- Identifying stories and utilizing the principles of effective storytelling
- Developing and telling an “I Know What You’re Thinking” story
- Improving your ability to connect with and influence others through storytelling
- Writing to influence others
- Organizing your writing to accomplish your purpose
- Using visuals to enhance reader understanding
- Practicing effective writing
- Applying an editing process to improve your final product
- Identifying critical elements of exceptional presentations
- Describing the types of presentations and different modalities
- Fostering audience engagement during different types of presentations
- Applying best-in-class techniques for managing presentation anxiety
Communication Behaviors – Capstone
- Exhibiting confidence and competence in applying skills and techniques of effective business communication
How will you benefit
- Communicate with poise and clarity
- Learn how to build connections that foster trust and rapport
- Build commitment, consensus and collaboration throughout your organization
- Tailor your communications to gender, generation and position
- Tap into the power of your own communication style to get the results you want
- Apply skills to connect and engage with audiences, whether in-person or across a digital divide
Who Should Attend
Professionals at all levels who need to be strong and effective communicators
"lots of feedback"
Yvonne was a wonderful instructor that offered lots of feedback and real world experience to the class. She was always willing to engage and field questions throughout the seminar.
This course is available for "remote" learning and will be available to anyone with access to an internet device with a microphone (this includes most models of computers, tablets). Classes will take place with a "Live" instructor at the date/times listed below.
Upon registration, the instructor will send along additional information about how to log-on and participate in the class.