18 and older
To make the workshop a great experience for all, you will need:
- Your own headset (isn’t it the worst when someone is muffled or echo-y in meetings? Help us avoid this by bringing your own headset).
- Your own laptop and camera, to dial in individually. We have found it dramatically improves the quality of the discussion if everyone is dialed in with their own laptop (camera on) rather than sharing laptops or dialing via the conference room.
- A nice, quiet, private place to dial in: If you’re sharing a conference room with other attendees, please do still bring your own laptop to dial in. If you're dialing from home, find a quiet corner without folks walking behind you and such (it can be weirdly distracting to see roommates periodically walking behind you).
- Print out the worksheet(s). This will be attached in the calendar invite and emailed to students before the session
- Download Zoom if you haven’t already
- Make sure Zoom is working on your computer
This workshop is taught online, with a live facilitator. Once you complete your payment, you will receive the dial in information.
The 1-1 is the best opportunity for tracking your direct reports’ engagement and development, but most of us don’t put this time to good use. You’ll walk away from this workshop knowing how to transform your 1-1s into productive, motivating, and energizing sessions.
During this workshop, you will:
- Learn how the one-on-one can be used to increase employee engagement and decrease ‘managerial debt’ each week
- Identify opportunities to coach, share feedback, and align on priorities during the one-on-one
- Find out the 5 psychological drivers of motivation (certainty, autonomy, meaning, progress, and social inclusion)
- Practice using the 1-1 to diagnose each driver. Rate each direct’s levels of engagement and generate ideas for increasing these scores
- Practice increasing vision, connecting work to the larger picture, and developmental coaching
- Review a sample one-on-one agenda
- Discuss how to put what you learned in this workshop into action in the week ahead
After this workshop, you will know how to:
- Explain the purpose of the one-on-one to your direct reports
- Structure a one-on-one in a way that increases engagement and puts directs in the driver’s seat of the conversation
- Diagnose and address key drivers of motivation and engagement
- Shift into a leadership mindset during one-on-one conversations – focusing on your direct reports’ thinking rather than the task at hand
Please note: This workshop is intended for current people managers.
Please keep a pen and paper with you