18 and older
Computer - minimum requirements
Tablet and Smartphone - minimum requirements
- Processor: Single Core 1Ghz or higher
- Operating Systems:
- Mac OS X: 10.6.8 /(Snow Leopard) or later
- Windows: 7 or above, Vista SP1 or later or XP SP3 or later
- Linux - many varieties
- Windows: IE7+, Firefox, Chrome, Safari5+
- Mac: Safari5+, Firefox, Chrome
- Apple iOS 7.0 or later:
- iPad Mini, Pad 4, new iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 6s, 6, 5s, 5, 4S, 4 and iPod touch 4th Generation, iPhone 3GS (no front facing camera)
- Android 2.3.x Gingerbread
- Android 3.x Honeycomb
- Android 4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich
- Android 4.1/4.2/4.3 Jelly Bean
- Android 4.4 Kit Kat
- Android 5.0.x Lollipop
- Kindle Fire HD
One Spirit offers most of our classes by live online videoconference bridging our classrooms in New York with students from around the world. With your computer or hand-held device and an Internet connection, you can be present with faculty and other students, sharing your thoughts and asking questions in real time. Let yourself be seen by others and feel the power of a global community of engaged learners, collaborating toward a shared vision.
Joining a Videoconference
- We use zoom.us, free videoconference software accessible by internet ready computers and hand-held devices.
- Videoconferences occur live on Eastern Daylight Time. We recommend arriving at least 15 minutes before class.
- The system is designed to share your computer's microphone and videocamera by default to connect you with other learners.
- While you may turn off your camera and mute your audio, we hope you choose to be present with us on screen: learners in our classroom can't hide behind a screen, so why should you?
- This live event will be recorded for educational purposes, including the names, video, audio and comments of all participants and visitors.
- A headset with a Microphone works best for sharing, but it is not required.
- It is possible to use your telephone for the classroom audio (local and long-distance rates may apply), but a computer connection is required to participate interactively.
Community Events - When you register for a One Spirit Community Event, you will receive an email confirmation that contains instructions plus a link that you must click to join the videoconference.
Workshops, Courses & Programs - When you register for a One Spirit Elective Workshop or Course, you will receive an email invitation to join a private class webpage. That private webpage will contain the instructions and videoconference join link.
When you click the join link or button, just follow the on-screen instructions to download the Zoom App to your Computer OR launch the app if it's already installed. The Videoconference will open automatically on your device!
Sikhism: Demystifying the World’s Fifth Largest Religion
Sikhism is the fifth-largest organized religion in the world, yet many books on religion devote little space to it. Who are the Sikhs, what do they believe, and how do they experience the Divine?
Established in the latter part of the 15th century by Guru Nanak, this relatively young religion is based in the love of a universal God. Key values include social justice, human rights, and religious freedom for people of all religions. A core tenet of Sikhism is seva (selfless service), and Sikhs across the world practice this in many forms, including providing free meals and lending a helping hand as needed--testaments to a belief system that demonstrates true dedication to its values.
This one-day workshop will offer participants the opportunity not only to add Sikhism to their knowledge of world religions but also to:
- Experience Sikh prayer/meditation
- Explore the importance of Sikh sacred scriptures, the Guru Granth Sahib Participate in performance of religious hymns (keertan)
- Learn about important contributions of Sikhs to the world
- Understand the social challenges Sikh communities are facing
This course is available for "remote" learning and will be available to anyone with access to an internet device with a microphone (this includes most models of computers, tablets). Classes will take place with a "Live" instructor at the date/times listed below.
Upon registration, the instructor will send along additional information about how to log-on and participate in the class.