12 and older
Sewing a pillow is the best way to become BFFs with your sewing machine and a quick and inexpensive way to spice up your home!
Sewing a pillow is the best way to become BFFs with your lovely sewing machine and a quick and inexpensive way to spice up your home and new WFH office. This workshop is perfect if you’d like to learn how to sew (you should know how to use your machine though!) but it’s also a classic fun project for pros who’d like to hang out with other creatives and throw a little style onto their couch!
In this 1.5 hour workshop you will:
Supplies you will need:
- Create a pillowcase
- Learn about seam allowance and how to sew a hem
- Find out the easiest way to turn corners while you’re sewing
- A threaded, ready-to-go sewing machine that does a straight stitch (need help? Consider this workshop first)
- A square pillow, ready to be covered in a cute pillowcase!
In order to take this workshop, you must know how to:
- 2 pieces of cotton fabric* of your choice (ideally washed and dried before so it keeps its shape) cut to the following:
- 1 piece that measures 1 inch more around the size of pillow (if your pillow is 14” x 14”, cut this piece out 15” x 15”) and
- 1 piece that measures 6 inches longer than piece above (in my example, this piece would measure 21 x 15”)
- Thread (cotton or polyester, ideally the same color or a color that blends in)
- Fabric scissors (or regular scissors if that’s all that you have on hand!)
- Measuring tape or ruler
- Iron and ironing board (if possible!)
- Set up your sewing machine
- Adjust its tension
- Sew a straight line
Make sure that your machine is set up before the workshop starts and that you’re able to sew a straight line on a (folded) swatch of your fabric of choice without any issues.
If you’re not sure how to do that you can take our “How to Set Up Your Sewing Machine” WebJam.And this is how a WebJam works:
After you purchase your ticket (via the Eventbrite link on this page), you will receive an email with a custom URL link to join. You will be able to add the event to your calendar. Reminder emails will be sent 2 hour and 45 minutes prior to the start. Make sure to login 10 minutes before the WebJam starts to avoid technical difficulties that may delay you.
You have the option to use video and audio to participate. It’s nice to enable video so we can all see each other's faces and projects!
This course is available for "remote" learning and will be available to anyone with access to an internet device with a microphone (this includes most models of computers, tablets). Classes will take place with a "Live" instructor at the date/times listed below.
Upon registration, the instructor will send along additional information about how to log-on and participate in the class.
We are BYOB friendly! Crafting is paired best with your favorite drink of choice! But, you must be 21 or over. Younger? Just have a mocktail. No one will notice ;)