12 and older
In this 2 hour workshop, scouts will get hands-on experience and learn all they need to know to earn their welding merit badge. Scouts will learn and understand:
- Safety gear and precautions
- Welding terms and processes
- How to weld beads
- How to weld plates together in a T joint, butt joint and lap joint
- Career opportunities in the welding industry.
Scouts should have these pre-requisites done before the welding class:
a. Show that you know first aid for, and the prevention of, injuries or illnesses that could occur while welding, including electrical shock, eye injuries, burns, fume inhalation, dizziness, skin irritation, and exposure to hazardous chemicals, including filler metals and welding gases.
b. With your counsellor:
- Discuss general safety precautions and Material Safety Data Sheets related to welding. Explain the importance of the MSDS.
- Find out about three career opportunities in the welding industry. Pick one and find out the education, training, and experience required for this profession. Discuss this with your counsellor, and explain why the profession might interest you.
- Discuss the role of the American Welding Society in the welding profession.
For Students below 18, a Guardian needs to sign a Waiver on their behalf.