18 and older
In this intermediate level, students will cover more advance techniques such as surface treatments for instance reticulation; controlling the melting point and changing the alloy of the sterling silver to create a rugged beautiful surface of mountains and valleys in miniature. Braiding twists of wire creating an intricate feeling of decoration dating back to ancient Egyptian metalworking. As well as learning how to recycle silver creating less waste and making the most of your metal.
Hammer texturing, wire working and the use of different burs and drills all combined with the opportunity to set a faceted stone come together to make a unique ring.
This workshop focuses strongly on aspects of good design in conjunction with technique.
You will also need a stone for your project. The studio will have a selection of faceted, cabochon and picture stones for sale for the workshop with a wide price range but please feel free to bring your own selection of stones. We recommend sticking to hard stones - 7 or higher on the MOH Scale.
We recommend going to these places for stones:
*Hard stones: Emeralds, Amethysts, Tourmalines, Iolites, Garnets, Citrines, Spinels, Quartz, Topaz, Sapphires, Rubies, and Diamonds!Tools and materials will be provided.
- R Gems – 48 W 48 St. #210 NY, NY 11036
- Dikra Gems – 56 W 45 St #1005 NY, NY 11036
Couldn't find a schedule that works for you? Please reach out to CourseHorse and we'll be happy to assist.
- Scheduling for private lessons is flexible and subject to the instructor's availability.
- If the instructor is unavailable during the date or time originally booked, CourseHorse and the class provider will help arrange for a reschedule that works for both parties.
- Once a date and time is decided on, the class provider's standard cancellation policy applies.
- In the event that schedules don't match up and a date and time cannot be scheduled, students are entitled to a refund.
Special Class note: For all Private workshop signups, Students are requested to reach out to the school before the class start date, with a description of what they'd want to make in class.