18 and older
Learning Lighting Basics: Outdoor Flash Photography will give you the knowledge of using your flash.
Take the fear out of lighting your photographs in this 2-hour introduction to lighting on location. In this class you’ll learn by doing in this hands-on class how to better use your accessory flash for all your photographs as we explore the downtown Santa Ana district.
Professional Photographers often shoot outdoors with their portable flash, on and off camera. This is because it provides a powerful way to gently fill shadows and creatively blend ambient and portable fill light. This class teaches how to choose and use each workflow for your outdoor images and provides you with a new and easy to use tool to improve your outdoor photography even in the harsh light of high noon.COURSE DESCRIPTION
If you’ve wondered what that silver plate on the top of your camera does, and you’re tired of your photos being too dark, or your outdoor portraits fall flat, or, if you’re a natural light photographer ready to take your photography to the next level with lighting, this is your course. Our instructor will simplify accessory flash use outdoors by demonstrating the techniques to get you stellar portraits and simplify your landscape photographs.
Students quickly develop the skills to manage and choose portable flash settings for outdoor applications and how to use this tool as a fill light source. They explore best practices for selecting the correct ISO settings, exposure settings, and requirements appropriate to any given outdoor ambient light situation.
Students leave with knowledge and confidence in the portable lighting workflow.TOPICS COVERED
MATERIALS NEEDEDAttendee should be familiar with the basic functions and menus of their camera. Please bring your camera, and notepad. Make sure your battery is fully charged and you have an empty memory card ready to take pictures.
- Portable Flash as the fill light source in outdoor situations
- Power choices for outdoor lighting situations
- Power as the dominant light sources in outdoor situations.
- Positioning on and off camera to achieve what you are trying to create.
- Which cables to use Manual power adjustment
- Mastering the power settings
- Techniques for fill light applications
- Techniques for dominant light applications.
- Hands on Practice and Evaluation.
- DSLR camera with manual exposure modes and your favorite lens
- Accessory flash, battery, modifier (diffuser or reflector)
- Extra battery and memory card
- Camera Manual
- Sun protection, water bottle and your walking shoes