18 and older
This fundamental PMU course is designed to give you the basic skills to start your career in the permanent makeup industry. Students will finish the week with the understanding and confidence to perform eyebrow, eyeliner, lip lining and shading procedures. The Fundamentals Permanent cosmetics class will be based on Milady’s Aesthetician Series Permanent Makeup: Tips and Techniques.
This class is taught by owner, Permanent Makeup Technician & Illinois Licensed Esthetic Instructor, Lisa Pizzello. Her esthetic background provides the student with an enhanced understanding of proper safety precautions, including sterilization, sanitation and the avoidance of cross-contamination, which will be crucial for understanding the extreme importance of sanitation in the industry.
The training will be completed in a period of 50 hours, which will consist of four consecutive days of classroom work as well as 18 hours of home study. Classes will have a maximum of 6 students to ensure individualized attention.Classes will be divided into 2 days of theory and two days of hands on training.
- Fundamental/Basic Training Course Curriculum
- State of Illinois tattooing laws and regulations
- Machines and devices
- Anatomy of the skin
- Color theory
- Transmission cycle of infectious diseases.
- Sanitation and disinfection protocols
- Proper needle handling and disposal; b. Blood spill procedures; c. Equipment and instrument storage; and d. First aid
- Bloodborne pathogen standards
- Procedure supplies
- Professional standards
- Client health history & consent forms
- Marketing and establishing clientele
After completing the training the student should be able to:
- Discuss the history of makeup and define permanent makeup and outline the career opportunities available
- Identify the liabilities that could affect a permanent makeup technician
- Understand the layers of the skin affected by permanent makeup; the important structures of the eyes affected by permanent makeup.
- Understand basic color theory as it pertains to permanent makeup
- Understand skin tones and how to identify them along with Fitzpatrick scale
- Have a thorough understanding of how to conduct a client consultation
- Understand the importance of safety and sanitation for permanent makeup
- Explain specific rules and regulations pertaining to body art/permanent makeup
- Discuss and define the recognized techniques used for permanent makeup application and define complications, side effects, and treatment consequences
- Discuss the value of managing your business properly
TEXTBOOK AND SUPPLIES (Included in tuition and kit)Textbook
: Milady’s Aesthetician Series Permanent Makeup: Tips and Techniques
, Clifton Park, NY: Delmar Learning, 2006.Supplies:
- Rotary machine with 10 Cartridge needles
- Miscellaneous such as PPE (masks, gloves, etc), cord covers, and other disposable supplies will be provided
Course will be weighted as follows:
- Attendance 100% Mandatory (50 Hours)
- Drawing and Practice: 80% Minimum
- Final Exam 85% Minimum
Students must be a licensed beauty or medical professional. This includes estheticians, cosmetologists, laser techs, MUA, PMUA, nurses, and doctors.Please wear comfortable clothing that you wouldn't mind getting a little messy in some cases. A pen and a notebook are always good to have as well!