18 and older
MWI’s Housing and Eviction Mediation Training is an advanced mediation training designed for mediators interested in helping tenants and landlords resolve housing and eviction disputes. This training will focus on the special considerations mediators face when mediating eviction cases including homelessness and the challenge of property ownership, landlord-tenant relationships, protecting the rights of both parties, effective agreement writing and mediating eviction cases in District and Municipal Courts.Topics to Be Covered
Who Should Attend
- Ethical duties and dilemmas facing eviction mediator.
- A review of policies and procedures when mediating eviction cases from the District and Municipal Court Department.
- Supervised role-plays, exercises, group discussions and simulations
- Mediators looking to gain new skills and experience mediating eviction cases in court. MWI has immediate opportunities for mediators who successfully complete this training.
- Professionals working in the housing field interested in learning more about Massachusetts Landlord-Tenant Law and Summary Process procedure and how mediation can be used to resolve housing disputes.
- Individuals interested in understanding the mediation process and landlord-tenant rights and responsibilities.
Mediators interested in summary process mediation training must have completed at least 30-hours of basic mediation training. They also must have completed at least five mediations prior to the start of the training. Participants are welcome to mediate summary process with MWI upon successful completion of this advanced mediation training.Participants Will Receive
- MWI’s Summary Process Resource Manual: A comprehensive overview of Massachusetts landlord tenant law and eviction procedure.
- A total of 8 hours of mediation training including opportunities to mediate with supervision.
All training materials will be provided. Dress is business casual. Refreshments will be provided throughout the program.