18 and older
Search engine optimization (SEO) is often thought of as a complex and long-term process for marketers. But there are many quick and easy steps you can take to improve your website traffic and start the beginnings of a successful SEO campaign. Participants will walk away with a solid base to create a search engine optimized web presence, plus a customized comprehensive plan to continue their efforts.
In this bootcamp on “human-centered SEO,” you’ll learn the basics of how to analyze and improve your organic search performance on Google. You’ll dive into both onsite and offsite methods of improving your search rankings, while getting a glimpse of the software that most search marketers rely on. This is a hands-on workshop that will describe SEO techniques and take participants through each step of setting up and optimizing their websites in class.Takeaways
- Understand the basics of having your website found on major search engines
- Explore Google Analytics and Search Console Tools to measure your website traffic
- Understand the importance of being mobile friendly in a mobile-first world
- Understand the importance of having a fast website in a mobile-first SEO world and take away some tips to optimise for speed
- Understand the importance of 'Google My Business' and 'local intent' in the modern SEO landscape
- Learn how to optimise 'Google My Business' for local visibility
- Submit a sitemap to search engines and understand the importance of what to include (and what not to include in there)
- Learn how to structure a web page to target SEO terms and rank for multiple terms around a topic
- Research and build a keyword list to get your site ranked in search queries
- Analyse your performance and your competitors’ performance on your target keywords
- Set up your basic onsite search anchors such as URL structure, page titles, meta tags, and more
- Create a content calendar to help keyword and content planning
- Develop a long-term engagement and blog strategy to improve your SEO performance month after month
- Participants must bring a laptop to class with access to Google Analytics (and Google Search Console tools if possible).
- If you don't have access to a Google Analytics account you can use a demo account provided by Google. Free to use and available to anyone with a Google email account, this is populated with real data from the Google Merchandise Store, a real life e-commerce store where you can buy Google related merchandise. To access, follow the instructions in this link: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6367342#access
- We will be using Screaming Frog, please come to class with this pre-installed for free from https://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-spider/
- Participants should arrive with an existing website or business to which they will apply these techniques.
For students enrolling in 12 week part time and immersive classes, it is not recommended that you book more than one class simultaneously.