We give you back 5% of every dollar spent on classes, in the form of rewards points.
Your points automatically apply as a discount
on your next purchase, so you start saving immediately.
Questions? Contact us!
Teen Jazz Summer Camp (Session 1)New York Jazz Workshop »
This class isn't on the schedule at the moment, but save it to your Wish List to find out when it comes back!
853 7th Ave.
Btwn 54th & 55th Streets
New York, New York 10019 (Map)
|Share:||Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email|
|Important:||Session 2; Price includes registration fee of $45|
- Class Level: Intermediate
- Age Requirements: 12 - 16 years old
- Average Class Size: 6
What you'll learn in this kids music camp class:
This workshop will give you a chance to explore jazz in a hands-on way, which is the best way to experience it.
This class will teach you:
- Repertoire: Learn how to play standard jazz tunes.
- Theory: Gain a harmonic and melodic understanding of chords, scales and key centers.
- Ear training: Learn how to hear chord types and melodic patterns by ear and notate them on the music staff.
- Transcribing/Listening: Transcribe a Miles Davis solo from his classic album “Kind of Blue”, as well as discuss other examples of great jazz compositions and improvisations.
- Improvisation: Create melodies in the moment by applying theory and ear training.
- Ensemble (Combo): Play and improvise in a small jazz ensemble.
- Composition and Jazz Connections to Music Today: Compose and arrange an original piece of music, as well as compare jazz music from the past with present musical styles.
- Performance: Apply the knowledge you’ve gained and sharpen your skills through performance.
Students should have 2-3 years of experience with their instrument, as well as some knowledge of scales, arpeggios, chords and notation.
Note: All you need is your lunch, instrument, sheet music and a pencil. We have drum kit, piano and amplifiers on site. If you need an instrument, let us know and we will provide some options.
Refund & Cancellation PolicyOnce students commit to participating at the workshop we hire a teacher and block the space for the class. The NYJW commits to the payment of the teacher and the studio rental and we therefore are unable to offer refunds. We try to keep the costs for the students as low as possible and we do offer the opportunity to participate in one of our classes before signing up.
Teacher: Craig Mc Gorry
Craig McGorry is a tenor and soprano saxophonist living and teaching in New York City for over 20 years. He focuses on helping beginner and intermediate saxophone students, both adults and children, develop their tone, technique, musicianship, and improvisation skills while building their repertoire. Craig’s approach involves determining how much time each student has to practice and helping them put together a realistic practice plan that moves them forward and keeps them feeling a sense of development. Additionally, he believes in continuous development of the ear through the use of the voice and often uses solfege to help students develop a stronger connection to what they hear in their mind and want to play on their instrument. Craig can also help students develop their functional piano skills, something every musician needs, which can help their understanding of music theory and composing. Craig studied jazz/commercial music at Five Towns College, majoring in saxophone and piano, and has studied extensively with various private saxophone teachers over the years. A passionate educator, Craig has trained in music education, including studying the Orff Method at The Eastman School of Music and receiving Kodaly Certification from New York University. He also holds a Master of Arts in Education from Mercy College (and a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies from New York University). He has taught music in the NYC public schools and at the East Coast Music festival, where he taught chorus, music theory, and improvisation skills to cello and violin students. Craig frequently performs in New York City and has performed at various venues, including Cleopatra’s Needle, Miles Café, The Shrine, Arturo’s and more.
Start Dates (0)
Benefits of Booking through CourseHorse
- Booking is safe. When you book with us your details are protected by a secure connection.
- Lowest price guaranteed. Classes on CourseHorse are never marked up.
- This class will earn you 5400 points. Points give you money off your next class!
School: New York Jazz Workshop
The New York Jazz Workshop mission is to create opportunities for musicians of diverse backgrounds and abilities to learn and play jazz and related forms of modern music under the guidance of a world‐class faculty. Our goal is to further develop the school in fully fledged Jazz Center for learning,...
CourseHorse Approved School
This school has been carefully vetted by CourseHorse and is a verified NYC educator.
Reviews of Classes at New York Jazz Workshop(4 Reviews)
Want to take this class?Save to Wish List
Taking this class for work? Get exclusive perks & discounts for free.