Jewelry I: Absolute Beginners92nd Street Y »
This class has ended. Find out first when this class opens by saving it to your wish list.
Upper East Side
1395 Lexington Ave
(Btwn E 91st & 92nd Streets)
New York, New York 10128 (Map)
|Share:||Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email|
|Important:||Room: S353, 3rd Fl, S Bldg|
Benefits of Booking through CourseHorse
- Booking is safe. When you book with us your details are protected by a secure connection.
- Lowest price guaranteed. Classes on CourseHorse are never marked up.
- This class will earn you 4000 points. Points give you money off your next class!
- Class Level: Beginner
- Age Requirements: 18 and older
- Average Class Size: 10
What you'll learn in this jewelry class:This introductory class will teach beginners with the essentials of jewelry making and create a sterling silver ring.
- *Saw blades (2 dozen each minimum) #4/0 - $3.50 per dozen
- *Needle Files #2 cut – set of six, (Metalliferous item #FIL994.00 cut 2, $6.95) (OR a more expensive but better quality #33.906, $23.00)
- *Hand file #2 cut, half-round (Metalliferous item #32.310S $6.95 – STUDENT-GRADE) (OR #FIL120.20 $18.40 BETTER) (OR #31.114 $32.40 BEST)
- *File handle (screw-on style for hand file) - #37.820 $2.65
- *Center Punch, item #47.900 $2.00
- *Scribe (cheapest one), item #GEN085 $2.00
- *Twist Drill Assortment (set of 6), item #20.106, $7.15
- *AA tweezers item, $2.35
- *Solder pick, item #TX1580 $3.95
- *Sandpaper 4-pack (silicone carbide, wet/dry) one sheet each of grits: 220, 320, 400, 600 - $6.00
- *Steel Ruler (6") mm/inches, item #GEN305 $2.35
- *Sheet Metal (price varies according to market)
Copper - 6" x 6" x 18 gauge $6.90 or 20 gauge $5.45
Sterling silver - 1" x 4" x 18 gauge (approx. $36.00)
Most jewelry will be made in sterling silver, copper and brass are accents
- Solder, hard, medium, easy. 1 ft each. - $3.45 each
- Sketchbook or notebook (not from Metalliferous)
- 4” Jeweler’s Saw frame – #SAW314 $16.00
- Split Mandrel for sandpaper (not tapered) - #11.308 $1.30
- Forming pliers (half round & flat) – #PLR498.40 $7.00
- Beeswax - #26.100 $2.15
- Chain nose pliers - #PL650 $8.00
- Side cutters - #PL170 $5.95
- Curved cross locking tweezers - #TWZ741.00 $3.95
- 3 small containers for solder – $2.00 - $5.00
- small paintbrush for flux - $0.35 - $1.95
- Fine point sharpie marker (not from Metalliferous)
- The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight - #BKS682 $15.00
Interested in an On-Site Class or Custom Program from 92nd Street Y? Request info about private training
Teacher: Janna GregonisSee Classes Taught by This Teacher »
Janna Gregonis received her MFA in Metals from East Carolina University and her BFA in Metals from Kutztown University. Janna has taught at Kutztown University, St. Johns University, Peter's Valley, the Newark Museum and is currently teaching at the Baum School of Art in Allentown, PA and the 92nd St. Y. She is the former Director of the Jewelry department at the Craft Students League at the YWCA of New York City. Janna has worked at the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum. In January of 2009 she travelled to Cameroon where she taught women infected with AIDS and HIV how to make jewelry.
Start Dates (0)
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- To receive a 100% refund, written request must be received 2 weeks prior to the first session.
- To receive a 75% refund, written request must be received at least one day prior to the first session.
- To receive a 50% refund, written request must be received at least one day prior to the second session.
- After that, refunds cannot be granted.
School: 92nd Street Y
92nd Street Y is a world-class nonprofit community and cultural center that connects people at every stage of life to the worlds of education, the arts, health and wellness, and Jewish life.
Through the breadth and depth of 92Y's extraordinary programs, we enrich lives, create community and elevate...
CourseHorse Approved School
This school has been carefully vetted by CourseHorse and is a verified NYC educator.
Want to take this class?Save to Wish List
Taking this class for work? Get exclusive perks & discounts for free.