Jewelry I: Absolute Beginners92nd Street Y »
This class has ended. Save to Wish List to find out when new dates are added.
1395 Lexington Ave
New York, NY 10128 (Map)
Benefits of Booking through CourseHorse
- Booking is safe. When you book with us your details are protected by a secure connection.
- Lowest price guaranteed. Classes on CourseHorse are never marked up.
- This class will earn you 2250 points. Points give you money off your next class!
- Class Level: Beginner
- Age Requirements: 18 and older
- Average Class Size: 10
What you'll learn in this jewelry class:This introductory class will teach beginners with the essentials of jewelry making and create a sterling silver ring.
- *Saw blades (2 dozen each minimum) #4/0 - $3.50 per dozen
- *Needle Files #2 cut – set of six, (Metalliferous item #FIL994.00 cut 2, $6.95) (OR a more expensive but better quality #33.906, $23.00)
- *Hand file #2 cut, half-round (Metalliferous item #32.310S $6.95 – STUDENT-GRADE) (OR #FIL120.20 $18.40 BETTER) (OR #31.114 $32.40 BEST)
- *File handle (screw-on style for hand file) - #37.820 $2.65
- *Center Punch, item #47.900 $2.00
- *Scribe (cheapest one), item #GEN085 $2.00
- *Twist Drill Assortment (set of 6), item #20.106, $7.15
- *AA tweezers item, $2.35
- *Solder pick, item #TX1580 $3.95
- *Sandpaper 4-pack (silicone carbide, wet/dry) one sheet each of grits: 220, 320, 400, 600 - $6.00
- *Steel Ruler (6") mm/inches, item #GEN305 $2.35
- *Sheet Metal (price varies according to market)
Copper - 6" x 6" x 18 gauge $6.90 or 20 gauge $5.45
Sterling silver - 1" x 4" x 18 gauge (approx. $36.00)
Most jewelry will be made in sterling silver, copper and brass are accents
- Solder, hard, medium, easy. 1 ft each. - $3.45 each
- Sketchbook or notebook (not from Metalliferous)
- 4” Jeweler’s Saw frame – #SAW314 $16.00
- Split Mandrel for sandpaper (not tapered) - #11.308 $1.30
- Forming pliers (half round & flat) – #PLR498.40 $7.00
- Beeswax - #26.100 $2.15
- Chain nose pliers - #PL650 $8.00
- Side cutters - #PL170 $5.95
- Curved cross locking tweezers - #TWZ741.00 $3.95
- 3 small containers for solder – $2.00 - $5.00
- small paintbrush for flux - $0.35 - $1.95
- Fine point sharpie marker (not from Metalliferous)
- The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight - #BKS682 $15.00
Interested in an On-Site Class or Custom Program from 92nd Street Y? Request info about private training
- To receive a 100% refund, written request must be received 2 weeks prior to the first session.
- To receive a 75% refund, written request must be received at least one day prior to the first session.
- To receive a 50% refund, written request must be received at least one day prior to the second session.
- After that, refunds cannot be granted.
Teacher: Shella RobinsonSee Classes Taught by This Teacher »
Shella Robinson currently teaches Jewelry I, Jewelry II, Independent Study and various workshops at the 92nd St. Y School of the Arts. She is also the Associate Director at a prominent contemporary art gallery in Chelsea. Previously, Robinson taught classes and workshops at the Midtown YWCA, NYC. After graduating with a BFA in Metalsmithing and Jewelry, Robinson earned a MFA in Metals and Jewelry at the State University of NY, New Paltz, where she also taught as an adjunct professor. Various one-of-a-kind pieces of Robinson's have been exhibited both nationally and internationally at venues such as Velvet da Vinci Gallery, John Kohler Arts Center and Galerie Marzee.
Start Dates (0)
School: 92nd Street Y
92nd Street Y is a world-class nonprofit community and cultural center that connects people at every stage of life to the worlds of education, the arts, health and wellness, and Jewish life.
Through the breadth and depth of 92Y's extraordinary programs, we enrich lives, create community...
CourseHorse Approved School
This school has been carefully vetted by CourseHorse and is a verified NYC educator.
Reviews of Classes at 92nd Street Y
2 out of 2
Want to take this class?Save to Wish List
Taking this class for work? Get exclusive perks & discounts for free.